In a new press release, the IRS encouraged business owners and other interested taxpayers to participate in the Industry Resolution Program by submitting tax issues that are in need of a resolution.
The objective of the IIR program is to resolve business tax issues common to significant numbers of taxpayers through new and improved guidance. In past years, issues have been submitted by associations and others representing both small and large business taxpayers, resulting in tax guidance that helps thousands of taxpayers.
Recent submissions accepted into the IIR program include:
- Network assets in the telecommunications industry (unit of property)
- Asset class determination under Revenue Procedure 87-56 for wireless telecommunication assets
- Vendor mark down allowances in calculation of inventory under the retail inventory method
- Network assets in the utilities industry (unit of property)
Guidance issued as a result of the IIR program includes:
- Technical terminations of publicly traded partnerships - procedures for requesting relief, delegation of authority for granting relief, and a sample closing agreement documenting the conditions under which relief is granted. (Industry Director Communication LMSB-04-0210-006)
- Auto Last In First Out - for automobile wholesalers, manufacturers and dealers regarding the proper treatment of the dollar-value, LIFO inventory method for pooling purposes of crossover vehicles, which have characteristics of trucks and cars. (Revenue Procedure 2008-33)