Monday, August 30, 2010

Questions for the Tax Lady: August 30th, 2010

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!



Question #1: My wife and I make around $75,000 per year, and file a joint return. If Congress does not extend the Bush tax cuts will our federal income tax rate increase?

That is the big question being asked all over this country. The answer is, probably. Even if your official tax rate does not change, you might be facing a bigger tax bill. The Bush tax cuts involved a lot more than just marginal tax rates. Also included were a number of deductions and credits that reduced tax liabilities for people in every tax bracket.

There are a number of plans for the Bush tax cuts being circulated in Congress. Some groups want them all extended. Some want them all to expire. Some Congress members propose letting some of the cuts expire. To see how each plan may impact your tax bill, check out the Tax Foundation’s calculators here: (http://www.mytaxburden.org/).

Question #2: Can I make my quarterly tax payments electronically?

Yes. You can either make a one-time payment or recurring monthly payments using the IRS’ Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). For more information, check out Eftps.gov.

Blog Archive