Monday, August 02, 2010

Questions for the Tax Lady: August 2nd, 2010

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!

Question #1: I recently got divorced from my spouse and am required to make alimony payments. Can I deduct these funds on my federal tax return?

Yes, as long as you meet the IRS’ requirements you should be able to deduct alimony payments paid to a former spouse. To learn more about the alimony payment deduction, check out this article from the Roni Deutch Tax Center – Tax Help Blog.

Question #2: I had to pay late penalties to the IRS, can I deduct these expenses?

No. According to, interest and penalties paid to the IRS on federal taxes are not deductible.

Blog Archive