Does using social media give you that warm, snuggly feeling?
Dr Gupta of CNN reports that Twitter and Facebook can strengthen emotional bonds, as evidenced by the release of oxytocin in the brain. This hormone is closely linked with emotional bonds, often released during breastfeeding, birth and other experiences of pair bonding, hence its nickname the “cuddle” hormone.
A recent study at Claremont Graduate University in California tested the theory. The test subject, a journalist, had a blood sample taken. He then spent 10 minutes using Twitter, reading and sending tweets the entire time. A second blood sample was then taken. The result? The test subject’s oxytocin levels increased substantially, while stress hormones went down.
So, will online communications fulfill all our needs for social interaction? Probably not, but it’s good to know that we do get some positive benefits from our virtual interactions. As it turns out, connecting with people, through any means, is good for us.
So, to help you reap the rewards of online communication send me a @ronideutch/Twitter or Facebook message to tell me your favorite ways to use social media.
- Beneficiaries Can Bank Proceeds, Bypass Life Insur...
- Money Makeover: Married Couple, Separate Finances
- IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman's Remarks from the 9...
- The 10 Richest Presidents
- Foreclosures Climb in 75% of Metro Areas
- IRS Offers One-Time Special Filing Relief Program ...
- Oil Hovers Near $77 On US Economy, Crude Demand
- Jobless Claims in U.S. Declined by 11,000 to 457,0...
- Latest Good Reads
- Cities Threaten to Cut 500,000 Jobs
- Financial Literacy for Kids a Big Worry for Parent...
- What Would Happen if the Bush Tax Cuts Expire
- Coming Up: Tax-Free August Shopping
- 9 Warm Weather Ways to Lower Your Tax Liability
- The Tax Hike Nobody's Talking About
- The Tax Lady Roni Deutch: A Short Biography
- BP Oil Spill To Cost U.S. Taxpayer Almost $10 Bill...
- More Women Taking On Second Job
- Questions for the Tax Lady: July 26th, 2010
- Unclaimed IRS Tax Refunds
- Geithner Favors Allowing Tax Cuts for the "Wealthy...
- Five Critical Steps for Effective Crisis Communica...
- What is an Estimated Tax Payment?
- Tax Tools and Financial Calculators
- US Senate Rejects Effort To Repeal Estate Tax
- 20% of Americans Hit by Major Economic Loss
- Latest Good Reads
- 10 Ways to Increase your Savings
- 7 Most Popular Business Tax Deductions
- Obama Signs Wall Street Reform Into Law
- U.S. Could Lose $37 Billion a Year to Tax Havens: ...
- The Tax Implications of Divorce
- Obama Keeps Pressure on GOP on Jobless Aid
- Proposed Florida Tax Relief Amendment Under Attack...
- IRS Files $1.13M Tax Lien Against Lil Wayne
- Small Banks That got Bailout Money May Need More
- Questions for the Tax Lady: July 19th, 2010
- Changing Stance, Administration Now Defends Insura...
- More Americans Are Forfeiting Citizenship to Escap...
- Wesley Snipes Loses Appeal in Tax Case
- Where the Jobs Are
- Five Problems Financial Reform Doesn’t Fix
- IRS Undeliverable Mail Costs Millions
- Retirement May Mean a Lifestyle Downgrade
- May Job Openings Dip but Hiring Near 2-Year High
- Wall Street Bill Clears Crucial Senate Hurdle
- 'Too Big to Fail' Banks May Try to Get Smaller
- Signs of the Stimulus
- Latest Good Reads
- Mid-Year Tax Planning: The Perfect Summertime Acti...
- Haiti Donations: $1.3 Billion
- Hawaii's Tax Revenue Slips In Recent Fiscal Year
- Two Senators Propose Reinstating Estate Tax
- IRS: Opening Times, Addresses for July 17 Special ...
- Wall Street Bill Moves Toward Final Test in Congre...
- Veterans And Taxes
- More Americans' Credit Scores Sink to New Lows
- Tax Deduction of the Week: Casualty Losses
- Questions for the Tax Lady: July 12th, 2010
- Why it's Time to Tax Internet Sales
- How Much Did Florida Tax Laws Factor Into LeBron J...
- IRS Opens Dedicated Phone Line for Gulf Oil Spill ...
- Are Low Taxes Exacerbating the Recession?
- Higher Taxes Ahead for Business Owners
- IRS Starts Mopping Up Congress's Tax-Reporting Mes...
- Labor Dept. Estimates $7.1 Billion in Overpayments...
- Recent State Taxing Trends you Should Know About
- EU-US Agree to Share Citizens Bank Data
- Inherited Wealth Shouldn't get a Free Pass on Taxe...
- National Taxpayer Advocate Submits Mid-Year Report...
- Hire Now, Save Later
- The Economic Effects of the 2010 World Cup
- The Tax Lady’s Tips
- Teach Your Teen Paycheck Savvy
- New Orleans Saints Dispute IRS Claims
- U.S. Lost Most Jobs Among Rich Countries
- Stamps May Go to 46 Cents
- IRS Highlights Job Opportunities for New Grads on ...
- More States Woo Retirees With Tax Breaks
- Up in the Air: Your Taxes
- Questions for the Tax Lady: July 5th, 2010
- Federal Tan Tax Burns Some Badly but Keeps Everybo...
- Ask-A-Career-Coach: How Do You Position Yourself f...
- How to Fix US Deficit: Stick to the Law
- Tax Deduction of the Week: Business Travel & Meals...
- Governor Puts 200,000 State Workers on Minimum Wag...
- GM's Auto Sales in China Top US for First Time
- White House Releases Staff Salary Data
- Twitter activates the “Cuddle” Hormone?
- Swap Your Gift Cards For Cash
- Pending home sales 'fell off a cliff'
- Army admits 'unimaginable, unacceptable wrongs' at...
- 1.3 million Unemployed won't get benefits restored...
- ▼ July (93)
- ► 2009 (987)
- ► 2008 (410)
- ► 2007 (191)