Monday, July 26, 2010

Questions for the Tax Lady: July 26th, 2010

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!


Question #1: Do all states have a sales tax?

No. Actually only 45 states, as well as the District of Columbia levy a general sale and use tax. Alaska, Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not impose a state sales tax. However, Alaska does allow for local sales taxes, and a few other states have a variety of specific excise taxes.

Question #2: If I have to move to a different state for a new job, can I deduct all of my moving expenses?

Depending on how far you have to move for the new job, and how long you work for the new employer, you may qualify to deduct qualifying expenses. Some of these expenses include packing, transportation, shipping costs, and storage bills. For more information on the job relocation deduction, check out this article on the Roni Deutch Tax Center – Tax Help Blog.

Blog Archive