A scheme to file false tax returns yielded millions of IRS dollars before the tax return preparers involved were caught and convicted. Here’s the scoop:
In an elaborate scheme to file false returns, operators of two tax preparation businesses (Seguros Internacionales and Poz Servicios Para Hispanos) in North Carolina defrauded the IRS of about $13 million between 2006 and 2009. Within these three years, the ten preparers made approximately 10,000 filings of income tax returns that sought more than $22 million in refunds. The IRS paid approximately $13 million of the fraudulently claimed refunds before investigators caught on to the scheme! The two businesses are no longer in operation.
The preparers plead guilty to charges of mail fraud and illegal entry into the U.S. All of them are facing a lengthy prison term of anywhere between 5 and 20 years, and of course, will then be deported to their country of origin after they have served their jail term. It turns out, federal agents arrested even more people in connection with this tax scheme last week—all in all, it is believed that about 20 people were involved.
The IRS has made it clear they are increasing enforcement efforts and are working closely with the Justice Department to increase legal actions against dishonest tax return preparers. The IRS has used investigative measures such as having agents pose as taxpayers to seek out and stop dishonest preparers from filing inaccurate returns. The IRS claims to have conducted 230 undercover visits to various tax return preparers and as a result, dozens of search warrants have been issued.
The IRS is not messing around. The IRS warns it will continue civil and criminal action as appropriate. The increased efforts will ultimately make a difference for taxpayers nationwide and will help protect the many tax professionals who play by the rules.
In January, the IRS has proposed new regulations regarding the registration, testing and continuing education of tax return preparers. You can see the press release here:
Let me end by saying, it is not only the responsibility of the tax preparer but also a responsibility of the taxpayer to choose carefully when hiring a tax professional.
The full article, "10 Illegal Immigrants Plead Guilty of Tax Fraud” can be found here.
- Tax bills are lower this year, but they will incre...
- Tax Bills Won’t Rise for Parents Who Keep Older Ki...
- Government Jobs Not So Cushy
- More Than a Million May Lose Jobless Aid Due to De...
- New Jobless Claims Drop By 11,000
- Latest Good Reads
- 5 Lies The Big Banks Keep Telling Us
- Tax credit end not deterring US homebuyers
- Hawaii Governor Vetoes Oil Tax and Other Bills
- Still no Wall Street bill debate in Senate
- Economists: The Stimulus Didn't Help
- Home Prices in Feb Showed First Annual Gain in 3 Y...
- Obama Tells Panel on Federal Debt to Consider All ...
- Paring Back So You Can Retire Comfortably
- Spring Cleaning for your Finances
- Questions for the Tax Lady: April 26th, 2010
- Sales of New Homes Soar With Help of Tax Credit
- Client Confidentiality: an Important Aspect of Leg...
- More American Expatriates Give Up Citizenship
- Bank Tax Tops G20 Meeting Agenda
- 4 Million Will Pay Health Care Penalty
- Low Income Taxpayer Clinic Grant Recipients Announ...
- Family Swindled By Madoff Fights $61 Million IRS B...
- Cost-Saving Moving Tips
- Happy Earth Day!
- Obama to Wall Street: 'Join Us' In Reform
- Existing U.S. Home Sales Climb to 5.35 Million Rat...
- How to Make Next Tax Season Less Stressful by Prep...
- Latest Good Reads
- Small Businesses Get a Boost from Nonprofit Lender...
- Pistons Rick Mahorn files for bankruptcy
- 10 Tax Breaks for the Home, Room by Room
- Wells Fargo Earns $2.4B, Says Credit Is Improving
- No Job For Years and Still Looking
- Summertime, When The Livin' Is Pricey
- 10 Tax Preparers Plead Guilty of IRS Fraud
- 6 Biggest Mistakes Homebuyers Make
- Hobbies and Small Businesses
- Senate Considers Proposal to Curb Foreign-Tax Cred...
- IRS Announces New Advisory Council Members
- GM to Announce It Will Pay Back Government Loans S...
- What to do if you Missed the Tax Deadline
- Questions for the Tax Lady: April 19th, 2010
- California Jobless Rate Swells to 12.6 Percent
- OECD Crackdown on Tax Havens Seen Lacking Teeth
- How to Avoid Giving Uncle Sam a Free Loan
- Tea-Party Activists Stage Tax-Day Rallies
- 5 Lessons from the Obamas’ Tax Return
- Home Buyer Tax Credits Spark IRS Audits
- 10 Arguments Against Paying Taxes (that will not w...
- What’s in a Nickname? The Origins of MLB Team Nam...
- IRS Spending More Time Auditing Small Businesses
- What a Recession Means for Your Business
- Tax Day Freebies!
- Last Minute Tax Tips on the Today Show
- Tax Day 2010: How the Income Tax Put Al Capone beh...
- IRS Data Show Tax Agency Audits Big Firms Less Oft...
- My Appearance on FOX Business Yesterday
- Taxes: Are You Crossing the Line?
- Haiti Relief Workers Qualify for Combat Zone Exten...
- Washington Lawmakers OK $1-Per-Pack Cigarette Tax ...
- 9 Very Last Minute Tax Preparation Tips
- Can the U.S. learn from New Zealand when it comes ...
- 5 Least Tax-Friendly States to Live In
- Tax Resolution Programs
- Nation's Soaring Deficit Calls for Painful Choices...
- No More Taxes on Short Sales, Foreclosures
- Government Goes High-Tech to Catch Tax Offenders
- Questions for the Tax Lady: April 12th, 2010
- Obama Election-Year Jobs Agenda Stalls in Congress...
- US Tax Bite Smaller than Other Nations'
- Poll: More Americans Say Their Taxes Fair
- Avoid Common Mistakes When Filing Your Tax Return
- CDC: States Not Putting Cigarette Tax Funds Into E...
- Understanding The U.S. Tax Withholding System
- More Than 200,000 Jobless Counting On An Extension...
- Big Brother is Watching: IRS Uses Social Media Sit...
- The Joy of Tax
- Top 10 FAQs About IRS Refunds
- 8 Do's and Don'ts For Your 401k
- Cigarette Tax Bump in 15 States Lifts U.S. Fees to...
- What You Can Learn From Your Tax Return
- 2 Years After Tax Law, Michigan's Making Movies
- Top Ten List Of Things To Know About Making Federa...
- Property Tax Rebellion Brewing After Real Estate C...
- Few Will Use Tax Refund to Indulge: Poll
- Are You Finding Difficulty Coping During Tax Time?...
- 3 Smart Ways You Can Fight Rising Taxes
- Charities and Deductions
- IRS Launches New Global Program to Target High Wea...
- Feeling Blue About Pink-Slip Taxes
- Tax Tips for 2010
- The Pros and Cons of Soda Taxes
- Questions for the Tax Lady: April 5th, 2010
- Californians get Improved $10,000 Home Buyer Tax C...
- 5 Myths About your Taxes
- Three New Issues to be Addressed by IRS Industry I...
- Reminders for Last-Minute Tax Filers
- March Unemployment Rate Unchanged At 9.7%
- FactCheck.org: IRS Will Not Need to Hire 16,500 N...
- ▼ April (104)
- ► 2009 (987)
- ► 2008 (410)
- ► 2007 (191)