Friday, June 11, 2010

Common Questions About Estimated Quarterly Tax Payments

The June 15th deadline for making estimated payments to the IRS is only a few days away. To help confused taxpayers, the RDTC Tax Help Blog has posted an entry with answers to the 10 most common questions about quarterly tax payments. I have included a few of questions and answers below, but you can find the full list at RDTC.com.

What federal taxes am I required to include in my quarterly payment?

In your estimated quarterly payment you must pay your federal income tax, as well as Social Security and Medicare taxes, which are known collectively as the self-employment tax. The amount of tax you are required to pay will depend on your income level.

When are my quarterly tax payments due?

The federal due dates for estimated tax payments are April 15, June 15, September 15, and January 15. However, if one of these dates falls on a weekend or legal holiday then the associated payment will be due the following business day.

What forms do I need to use to file my payment?

To file your quarterly payment you will need to complete IRS Form 1040-ES. If you cannot download it online, then you can get a copy at a local IRS office or by calling 800-TAX-FORM.

My business is setup as a partnership; will I still need to make estimated tax payments?

Yes, you and your partner will both need to make quarterly payments unless you are paying yourself wages and are having the necessary taxes withheld from your paychecks.

Blog Archive