It is estimated that there are as many as 1.2 million paid tax return preparers. The Internal Revenue Service issued proposed regulations today allowing the IRS to require that all tax return preparer use a Preparer Tax Identification (PTINs) as the preparer’s identifying number on all tax returns and tax refund claims that they prepare. These regulations, when final, will implement some of the recommendations in Publication 4832, Return Preparer Review.
“These regulations allow the IRS to better identify and match tax return preparers with the tax forms and claims they prepare. This proposed PTIN system will help us ensure taxpayers receive competent, ethical service from qualified professionals and strengthen the integrity of our tax system,” said IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman.
Under the proposed regulations, the IRS will issue forms, instructions, or other guidance that will require paid tax return preparers to begin using PTINs for all tax returns and refund claims filed after Dec. 31, 2010. Currently, tax return preparers must use either a PTIN or their social security number on tax returns or refund claims that they prepare.
The proposed regulations also provide that tax return preparers must apply for a PTIN, regularly renew the PTIN, and pay associated user fees, which will be described in upcoming guidance. As part of the process, some tax return preparers would also be subject to a tax compliance check, which could include a review of the preparer’s history of compliance with personal and business tax filing and payment obligations.
Tax professionals and other interested parties have until April 26, 2010 to submit comments regarding the attached proposed regulations.
The IRS plans to launch a new system later this year through which all tax return preparers will be required to register, including those who already have a PTIN. Tax return preparers who already have a PTIN will have the number revalidated and reassigned to them through the new system, while tax return preparers who do not have a PTIN will be issued one through the new system.
- IRS Proposes New Regulations for Preparers
- Business Owners Look to Extend Tax Time
- Passenger Tax in Alaska Could Drop More than 50%
- Taxes and Salaries, County by County
- Which Travel Expenses Are Safe To Deduct on Your T...
- 5 Steps To Starting a Business
- Tax Receipts Rebound as 15 Biggest States Foresee ...
- 30 Days and Counting: Homebuyer Tax Credit Expires...
- The Great Tax Season Easter Egg Hunt
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 29th, 2010
- AT&T Plans $1 Billion Charge For Health Care
- Personal Income Drops Across the Country
- Obama Makes Two Tax-Related Recess Appointments
- CNN News: Tax Filing Tips
- Rushing to do Taxes? Avoid These 10 Last-Minute Mi...
- Economy Not Likely To Reprise '09 Year-End Growth
- Why a $14/hour Employee Costs $20
- Answers on Health Care Reform and Taxes
- A Financial Report Card, Right in Your Tax Return
- Prince & The Taxman
- Student-Loan Reform
- Latest Good Reads
- Google or China—Who Has More to Lose?
- New Home Sales Fall to Record Low
- IRS To Open More Than 180 Local IRS Offices This S...
- 10 Things you Should Know About the Tax Implicatio...
- Hawaiians Rally For and Against Tax Hike Proposal
- IRS Health Care Oversight
- Summer Job Outlook Is Cloudy
- 7 New Tax Credits Now Available Through the Recove...
- California Lawmakers Approve Tax Breaks to Create ...
- Americans Remain Skeptical Over Health-Care Revamp...
- Foreign Income Taxes
- Medicare Tax Hikes: What The Rich Will Pay
- How to Lower your Tax Liability Without Itemizing ...
- Timeline of Tax Provisions in the House Health Car...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 22nd, 2010
- IRS Seeks Volunteers for Taxpayer Advocacy Panel
- Illinois Hospital Loses Tax-Exempt Status for Not ...
- The Tax Advantages of Going Green in 2010
- Tax Refunds May be Up, but How are Your Withholdin...
- Volunteer, Sacramento!
- Go Kings!
- Family Finance: Credit Cards Part of College Plans...
- Greenspan Says Fed, Regulators ‘Failed’ During Fin...
- Federal Workers Owe $1B in Back Taxes
- Five Things to Look for in a Tax Resolution Compan...
- Get Money Out of Your IRA Early. No Penalty. No Pr...
- Obama Signs Jobs Bill, Says More Must Be Done
- Latest Good Reads
- Senate OKs Jobs Bill for Obama's Signature
- Mcdonald's Co-Owner Admits Cheating IRS Out of Mor...
- Kids Caught In Medicaid Pay Crossfire
- No Federal Estate Tax, but What About your State?
- What Records to Keep for your Taxes
- Sacramento Business Owner Settles 4-Cent IRS Tab A...
- U.S., U.K. Move Closer to Losing Rating, Moody’s S...
- Beware of IRS’ 2010 “Dirty Dozen” Tax Scams
- 7 Lucky Tax Prep Tips to Celebrate St. Patrick's D...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 15th, 2010
- IRS Investigates Flurry of Threats Against its Wor...
- Some States Delaying Tax Refund Payments
- IRS visits Sacramento Carwash in Pursuit of 4 Cent...
- U.S. Sales Tax Rates Hit Record High
- The Humbling of Toyota
- U.S. Dollar Is Still The World's Most Trusted Curr...
- What you need to know about failing to file a tax ...
- American Pickers TV Show and Vintage Cars
- California Revenue Jumps, Tax Refunds Should Be Pa...
- Health-Care Reform's 'Back-Door' Tax
- How Greece's Debt Crisis Affects America
- Dodd to Offer Financial Regulation Bill Without G....
- Latest Good Reads
- IRS Outlines Steps to Assist Taxpayers?
- House Votes for Faster Tax Breaks for Chile Gifts
- Finance Reform Bill May Exempt Payday Lenders
- California's Tax Tactics Undermine Prosperity
- 10 Tax Friendly Ways to Spend your Refund
- Senate to Take Up Unemployment Insurance Extension...
- CNN Headline News Appearance
- Battle Lines Redrawn in Web Sales Tax War
- U.S. Minted More Millionaires In 2009
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 8th, 2010
- National Debt to be Higher than White House Foreca...
- Federal Pay Ahead of Private Industry
- Obama's Proposal to Limit Itemized Deductions to 2...
- How to Tackle Your Tax Bill
- Rangel Departure Highlights Undone Tax Agenda
- Lawmakers Push to Add Bonus Tax to $150 Billion Bi...
- I'm a Medicare doctor. Here's what I make
- Latest Good Reads
- Health Effects of IRS Collections
- How to Get High Quality Tax Service
- Tax Incentives to Adopt a Child
- U.S. Economy: Service Industries Expand More Than ...
- Fewer Taxpayers to Pay Off Debt with Refunds
- Roni Deutch Tax Center and NJ Nets to Will Offer F...
- Bye-bye, Saturday Mail?
- Debt: The Big Hangover Has Only Just Begun
- Tips to Find Affordable Health Care
- ▼ March (105)
- ► 2009 (987)
- ► 2008 (410)
- ► 2007 (191)