Monday, March 22, 2010

Questions for the Tax Lady: March 22nd, 2010

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!

Question #1: My divorce was finalized in November of 2009. Since I was married for most of the year do my ex husband and I need to file a joint return?

No. As long as you were divorced before December 31st, 2009 then the IRS considers you a single taxpayer for the whole year. You should therefore file an individual return.

Question #2: I have moved since I filed my last tax return. Is there a special form or something I should include with my new tax return to notify the IRS of the address change?

There is not really any need or specific protocol for notifying the IRS about a recent move. When you file your tax return just make sure you list your current address. The IRS will see the change, and automatically update their records.

Blog Archive