An article in USA TODAY answers questions posed by readers about the new health care law. Take a look at two of the questions and their answers:
Q: How will the new health care bill affect the amount I am taxed from each pay check?
A: It depends on how much you earn. In 2013, the Medicare payroll tax, which is now 1.45%, will increase to 2.35% for individuals who earn more than $200,000 and married couples filing jointly who earn more than $250,000. The additional tax is applied only to the amounts above those threshold levels. That means a single taxpayer with an annual income of $250,000 will pay an additional $450 per year in Medicare taxes, while someone earning $500,000 will pay $2,700 more a year.
Q: My wife and I are self-employed, own and operate a mom-and-pop retail/service business. (Our health care) premiums just went up $100 per month. We simply cannot afford this, but have no other choice. Most insurance companies only want group policies. Will this new bill do anything to help us?
A: Maybe, but not immediately. Beginning in 2014, small companies and individuals who don't have insurance through work will be able to purchase insurance through newly created marketplaces, known as insurance exchanges, created and regulated by the states.
Think of it as an Orbitz or Travelocity for health care insurance. The idea is to lower costs by applying the same market principles as the purchasing power of group plans.
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that about 26 million Americans will purchase their policies through the exchanges. The CBO also estimates, however, that four in 10 people who buy insurance independently of a large employer could wind up paying 10% to 13% more. Others would receive federal subsidies to significantly lower those costs, so it depends how much you and your wife earn. Those earning up to 400% of the poverty level, or up to $88,200 for a family of four, will get some assistance.
Also, small businesses with fewer than 25 employees will be eligible for tax credits to help pay for health care costs for employees, as explained in a question above.
See more Q&A’s in the full article.
- IRS Proposes New Regulations for Preparers
- Business Owners Look to Extend Tax Time
- Passenger Tax in Alaska Could Drop More than 50%
- Taxes and Salaries, County by County
- Which Travel Expenses Are Safe To Deduct on Your T...
- 5 Steps To Starting a Business
- Tax Receipts Rebound as 15 Biggest States Foresee ...
- 30 Days and Counting: Homebuyer Tax Credit Expires...
- The Great Tax Season Easter Egg Hunt
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 29th, 2010
- AT&T Plans $1 Billion Charge For Health Care
- Personal Income Drops Across the Country
- Obama Makes Two Tax-Related Recess Appointments
- CNN News: Tax Filing Tips
- Rushing to do Taxes? Avoid These 10 Last-Minute Mi...
- Economy Not Likely To Reprise '09 Year-End Growth
- Why a $14/hour Employee Costs $20
- Answers on Health Care Reform and Taxes
- A Financial Report Card, Right in Your Tax Return
- Prince & The Taxman
- Student-Loan Reform
- Latest Good Reads
- Google or China—Who Has More to Lose?
- New Home Sales Fall to Record Low
- IRS To Open More Than 180 Local IRS Offices This S...
- 10 Things you Should Know About the Tax Implicatio...
- Hawaiians Rally For and Against Tax Hike Proposal
- IRS Health Care Oversight
- Summer Job Outlook Is Cloudy
- 7 New Tax Credits Now Available Through the Recove...
- California Lawmakers Approve Tax Breaks to Create ...
- Americans Remain Skeptical Over Health-Care Revamp...
- Foreign Income Taxes
- Medicare Tax Hikes: What The Rich Will Pay
- How to Lower your Tax Liability Without Itemizing ...
- Timeline of Tax Provisions in the House Health Car...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 22nd, 2010
- IRS Seeks Volunteers for Taxpayer Advocacy Panel
- Illinois Hospital Loses Tax-Exempt Status for Not ...
- The Tax Advantages of Going Green in 2010
- Tax Refunds May be Up, but How are Your Withholdin...
- Volunteer, Sacramento!
- Go Kings!
- Family Finance: Credit Cards Part of College Plans...
- Greenspan Says Fed, Regulators ‘Failed’ During Fin...
- Federal Workers Owe $1B in Back Taxes
- Five Things to Look for in a Tax Resolution Compan...
- Get Money Out of Your IRA Early. No Penalty. No Pr...
- Obama Signs Jobs Bill, Says More Must Be Done
- Latest Good Reads
- Senate OKs Jobs Bill for Obama's Signature
- Mcdonald's Co-Owner Admits Cheating IRS Out of Mor...
- Kids Caught In Medicaid Pay Crossfire
- No Federal Estate Tax, but What About your State?
- What Records to Keep for your Taxes
- Sacramento Business Owner Settles 4-Cent IRS Tab A...
- U.S., U.K. Move Closer to Losing Rating, Moody’s S...
- Beware of IRS’ 2010 “Dirty Dozen” Tax Scams
- 7 Lucky Tax Prep Tips to Celebrate St. Patrick's D...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 15th, 2010
- IRS Investigates Flurry of Threats Against its Wor...
- Some States Delaying Tax Refund Payments
- IRS visits Sacramento Carwash in Pursuit of 4 Cent...
- U.S. Sales Tax Rates Hit Record High
- The Humbling of Toyota
- U.S. Dollar Is Still The World's Most Trusted Curr...
- What you need to know about failing to file a tax ...
- American Pickers TV Show and Vintage Cars
- California Revenue Jumps, Tax Refunds Should Be Pa...
- Health-Care Reform's 'Back-Door' Tax
- How Greece's Debt Crisis Affects America
- Dodd to Offer Financial Regulation Bill Without G....
- Latest Good Reads
- IRS Outlines Steps to Assist Taxpayers?
- House Votes for Faster Tax Breaks for Chile Gifts
- Finance Reform Bill May Exempt Payday Lenders
- California's Tax Tactics Undermine Prosperity
- 10 Tax Friendly Ways to Spend your Refund
- Senate to Take Up Unemployment Insurance Extension...
- CNN Headline News Appearance
- Battle Lines Redrawn in Web Sales Tax War
- U.S. Minted More Millionaires In 2009
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 8th, 2010
- National Debt to be Higher than White House Foreca...
- Federal Pay Ahead of Private Industry
- Obama's Proposal to Limit Itemized Deductions to 2...
- How to Tackle Your Tax Bill
- Rangel Departure Highlights Undone Tax Agenda
- Lawmakers Push to Add Bonus Tax to $150 Billion Bi...
- I'm a Medicare doctor. Here's what I make
- Latest Good Reads
- Health Effects of IRS Collections
- How to Get High Quality Tax Service
- Tax Incentives to Adopt a Child
- U.S. Economy: Service Industries Expand More Than ...
- Fewer Taxpayers to Pay Off Debt with Refunds
- Roni Deutch Tax Center and NJ Nets to Will Offer F...
- Bye-bye, Saturday Mail?
- Debt: The Big Hangover Has Only Just Begun
- Tips to Find Affordable Health Care
- The IRS Has $1.3 Billion for People Who Have Not F...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 1st, 2010
- Austin Incident Does Not Affect Tax Return Process...
- Not Much Impact from Repeat Buyer Credit
- Bid to Curb Mortgage Tax Break Falters
- ▼ March (105)
- ► 2009 (987)
- ► 2008 (410)
- ► 2007 (191)