A government report released Wednesday showed that the sales of new homes at fell to a record low in February. It is believed to be the outcome from all of the foreclosed homes and a weak economy with high unemployment.
New-home sales fell 2.2% to a seasonally adjusted rate of 308,000 last month, compared to an upwardly revised annual rate of 315,000 in January, the Census Bureau said. What’s crazy is that “this is the lowest rate since the government began keeping records in 1963 and marked the fourth straight month of declines.”
Economists expected February sales to rise to an annual rate of 315,000. New-home sales were down 13% from February 2009. New-home sales fell in every region of the United States, except the West region, which saw a 20.8% jump in new-home sales. The Northeast was hardest hit, with a 20% decline in February. Most likely effected by weather.
A stubborn job market is what is said to of kept pressure on the housing market. The U.S. unemployment rate stood at 9.7% last month, after unexpectedly falling in January, suggesting that the economic recovery could be gaining steam. But, "the economy, while recovering, is still not full speed ahead," said Hoffman.
In regards to new homes, the Census Bureau estimated that 236,000 new homes hit the market in February.
In November, Congress extended and expanded an $8,000 tax credit for first-time home buyers, which also allows some repeat buyers to qualify for a $6,500 credit. Buyers have until April 30 to qualify for the credit.
New-home sales saw a surge of activity when home buyers thought the November tax credit would expire, but retreated after the extension.
Although February's data was "a bit disappointing," Hoffman says the real test will come during peak home buying season in the spring.
"The real story will be if no one knocks at the door for a new-home in an environment of record low mortgage rates, a home buyer's tax credit and a recovering economy," said Hoffman. "If they don't, then it's lights out." Read the full article here: New-home sales fall to record low from CNNMoney.com.
- IRS Proposes New Regulations for Preparers
- Business Owners Look to Extend Tax Time
- Passenger Tax in Alaska Could Drop More than 50%
- Taxes and Salaries, County by County
- Which Travel Expenses Are Safe To Deduct on Your T...
- 5 Steps To Starting a Business
- Tax Receipts Rebound as 15 Biggest States Foresee ...
- 30 Days and Counting: Homebuyer Tax Credit Expires...
- The Great Tax Season Easter Egg Hunt
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 29th, 2010
- AT&T Plans $1 Billion Charge For Health Care
- Personal Income Drops Across the Country
- Obama Makes Two Tax-Related Recess Appointments
- CNN News: Tax Filing Tips
- Rushing to do Taxes? Avoid These 10 Last-Minute Mi...
- Economy Not Likely To Reprise '09 Year-End Growth
- Why a $14/hour Employee Costs $20
- Answers on Health Care Reform and Taxes
- A Financial Report Card, Right in Your Tax Return
- Prince & The Taxman
- Student-Loan Reform
- Latest Good Reads
- Google or China—Who Has More to Lose?
- New Home Sales Fall to Record Low
- IRS To Open More Than 180 Local IRS Offices This S...
- 10 Things you Should Know About the Tax Implicatio...
- Hawaiians Rally For and Against Tax Hike Proposal
- IRS Health Care Oversight
- Summer Job Outlook Is Cloudy
- 7 New Tax Credits Now Available Through the Recove...
- California Lawmakers Approve Tax Breaks to Create ...
- Americans Remain Skeptical Over Health-Care Revamp...
- Foreign Income Taxes
- Medicare Tax Hikes: What The Rich Will Pay
- How to Lower your Tax Liability Without Itemizing ...
- Timeline of Tax Provisions in the House Health Car...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 22nd, 2010
- IRS Seeks Volunteers for Taxpayer Advocacy Panel
- Illinois Hospital Loses Tax-Exempt Status for Not ...
- The Tax Advantages of Going Green in 2010
- Tax Refunds May be Up, but How are Your Withholdin...
- Volunteer, Sacramento!
- Go Kings!
- Family Finance: Credit Cards Part of College Plans...
- Greenspan Says Fed, Regulators ‘Failed’ During Fin...
- Federal Workers Owe $1B in Back Taxes
- Five Things to Look for in a Tax Resolution Compan...
- Get Money Out of Your IRA Early. No Penalty. No Pr...
- Obama Signs Jobs Bill, Says More Must Be Done
- Latest Good Reads
- Senate OKs Jobs Bill for Obama's Signature
- Mcdonald's Co-Owner Admits Cheating IRS Out of Mor...
- Kids Caught In Medicaid Pay Crossfire
- No Federal Estate Tax, but What About your State?
- What Records to Keep for your Taxes
- Sacramento Business Owner Settles 4-Cent IRS Tab A...
- U.S., U.K. Move Closer to Losing Rating, Moody’s S...
- Beware of IRS’ 2010 “Dirty Dozen” Tax Scams
- 7 Lucky Tax Prep Tips to Celebrate St. Patrick's D...
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 15th, 2010
- IRS Investigates Flurry of Threats Against its Wor...
- Some States Delaying Tax Refund Payments
- IRS visits Sacramento Carwash in Pursuit of 4 Cent...
- U.S. Sales Tax Rates Hit Record High
- The Humbling of Toyota
- U.S. Dollar Is Still The World's Most Trusted Curr...
- What you need to know about failing to file a tax ...
- American Pickers TV Show and Vintage Cars
- California Revenue Jumps, Tax Refunds Should Be Pa...
- Health-Care Reform's 'Back-Door' Tax
- How Greece's Debt Crisis Affects America
- Dodd to Offer Financial Regulation Bill Without G....
- Latest Good Reads
- IRS Outlines Steps to Assist Taxpayers?
- House Votes for Faster Tax Breaks for Chile Gifts
- Finance Reform Bill May Exempt Payday Lenders
- California's Tax Tactics Undermine Prosperity
- 10 Tax Friendly Ways to Spend your Refund
- Senate to Take Up Unemployment Insurance Extension...
- CNN Headline News Appearance
- Battle Lines Redrawn in Web Sales Tax War
- U.S. Minted More Millionaires In 2009
- Questions for the Tax Lady: March 8th, 2010
- National Debt to be Higher than White House Foreca...
- Federal Pay Ahead of Private Industry
- Obama's Proposal to Limit Itemized Deductions to 2...
- How to Tackle Your Tax Bill
- Rangel Departure Highlights Undone Tax Agenda
- Lawmakers Push to Add Bonus Tax to $150 Billion Bi...
- I'm a Medicare doctor. Here's what I make
- Latest Good Reads
- Health Effects of IRS Collections
- How to Get High Quality Tax Service
- Tax Incentives to Adopt a Child
- U.S. Economy: Service Industries Expand More Than ...
- Fewer Taxpayers to Pay Off Debt with Refunds
- Roni Deutch Tax Center and NJ Nets to Will Offer F...
- Bye-bye, Saturday Mail?
- Debt: The Big Hangover Has Only Just Begun
- Tips to Find Affordable Health Care
- ▼ March (105)
- ► 2009 (987)
- ► 2008 (410)
- ► 2007 (191)