Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ex-Banker says he's Giving Wikileaks Files on Rich

Earlier today a former Swiss banker on Monday supplied documents to WikiLeaks that allegedly contain information about 2,000 account holders. Rudolf Elmer is an ex-employee of Swiss-based Bank Julius Baer.

The Associated Press reports:

He has previously offered files to WikiLeaks on financial activities in the Cayman Islands and faces a court hearing in Zurich on Wednesday to answer charges of coercion and violating Switzerland's strict banking secrecy laws.

"I do think as a banker I have the right to stand up if something is wrong," said Elmer, who addressed reporters at London's Frontline Club alongside WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

"I am against the system. I know how the system works and I know the day-to-day business. From that point of view, I wanted to let society know what I know. It is damaging our society," Elmer said.

Assange praised the ex-banker's attempts to expose alleged shady practices in the financial industry. He was making a rare public appearance since he was released on bail on Dec. 16 following his arrest on a Swedish extradition warrant.

Continue reading here

Blog Archive