Monday, May 03, 2010

Questions for the Tax Lady: May 3rd, 2010

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!


Question #1: My wife and I are planning to buy a house, but we have not signed a contract yet. How much longer do we have before the Federal credit expires?

Unfortunately it looks like you have missed the deadline. In order to qualify for the credit you would have needed to be in contract by April 30th, and you need to close escrow before June 30th.

Question #2: I got an email saying it was from the IRS, but it asked me to respond with my Social Security Number and other personal data. Is there a new scam going around?

Do not respond and immediately delete the email. The IRS will never ask you for personal information such as your SSN via email. If you do receive such an email then it is a scam and you should flag it as spam. Alternatively, you can forward the email to phishing@irs.gov to have it looked at by the IRS’ scam investigation department.

Blog Archive