Monday, February 08, 2010

Questions for the Tax Lady: February 8th, 2010

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!


Question #1: When is the deadline for making donation’s to Haiti relief funds that can be included as charitable contributions on my 2009 return?

According to the IRS contributions of cash made after January 11, 2010 and before March 1, 2010, can be treated as contributions made on December 31, 2009 if such contributions were for the purpose of providing relief to victims in areas affected by the earthquake in Haiti that occurred on January 12, 2010. To be safe, you should try to make any donations that you plan to include on your tax return as soon as possible.

Question #2: What items should I bring with me when I take my tax return in to have it prepared?

I actually posted a blog entry on this very topic a few weeks ago. You can find the detailed list here, but essentially you will want at least the following items:

1. Identification

2. Last Years Tax Return

3. Documentation from ALL Sources of Income

4. Self Employment Documents

5. Financial Gain or Loss Statements

6. Mortgage and Real Estate Taxes

7. Automobile and DMV Documents

8. Deductible Expenses Receipts

9. Additional Deduction Documentation

10. Anything Else your Tax Professional Wants

Blog Archive