Monday, December 14, 2009

Questions for the Tax Lady: December 14th, 2009

Check out the following new Questions for the Tax Lady answers and feel free to ask me questions through one of the links below. You can send me an email, direct message or @ reply, and I will do my best to get an answer for you!



Question #1: My husband and I are purchasing a new home. We already own another property, so will we be eligible for the new $6,500 credit if we close before the end of the year?

Yes. The Homeownership and Business Assistance Act of 2009 was signed into law on November 6th, 2009, and became effective immediately. As long as you and your husband have been living in your principal residence for five years you should qualify for the credit. However, keep in mind that the credit does begin to phase out for couples making $245,000 or more per year.

Question #2: My business had a really profitable month. Do you have any ideas on last minute expenses to help lower my taxable income?

Depending on how many purchases you want to make, you could consider office furniture or computer equipment. Alternatively if you are looking for something cheaper, you could pay your January office rent early, or any other major bills such as your telephone service fee. On the other hand, you could defer some of your income until next year by waiting until after the end of the month to cash a check or two.

Blog Archive