Thursday, April 14, 2011

Can’t File on Time? Get an Extension until Oct. 17

In their newest press release, the IRS is reminding people that you can always request an automatic extension of time to file your tax return. I've include text of their release below, or you can check out this article I posted a few weeks ago on why you might want to request an extension even if you intend to file your return in on time.

    Are you unable to complete and file your federal individual tax return by the April 18 deadline? If so, you can request an extension of time to file, which will automatically give you until Oct. 17, 2011, to submit your tax return to the Internal Revenue Service.

    An extension gives you an additional six months to file your tax return. But keep in mind that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. All outstanding balances are due on April 18, 2011.

    The IRS expects to receive approximately 10 million extension requests in 2011, which is about the same as last year.

    Numerous Ways to Get an Extension

    In order to get an extension, you need to file Form 4868 with the IRS.

    Taxpayers can electronically file Form 4868 through IRS Free File or Free File Fillable Forms. Using Free File to prepare and electronically submit Form 4868 is free to everyone, regardless of income.

More at

Blog Archive