What’s the difference between a hair stylist and a tax preparer? Every state requires hair stylists to be licensed, but most states let anyone call him or herself a tax preparer. Sound a little frightening? You bet it is. Because here’s the bottom line: taxpayers are ultimately responsible for their tax returns, not the person who prepared them.
Now, this is not the case in every state. California and Oregon have strict licensing requirements for anyone charging money for tax preparation. And you know what the IRS found? When people in Oregon are audited, their tax returns require far less adjustments than taxpayers in states without licensing requirements. Meaning, Oregonians’ tax returns are more accurate. The IRS attributes this to higher quality tax preparation.
If you are not 100% sure you can do your taxes correctly, finding a qualified professional is paramount to keeping compliant with tax laws. A simple mistake here and there can cause big trouble since the IRS heavily penalizes many “simple mistakes.” And unlike other service industries, if your tax preparer makes mistakes, or is downright dishonest on your return, they are not held accountable. Instead the taxpayer is on the hook for every penalty, fine, and any interest assessed.
Sounds a little ridiculous, right? Well, I agree. And so does the IRS, evidently. The IRS announced plans to introduce tax preparer regulations to President Obama. And I am thrilled the IRS is finally stepping up to help protect taxpayers from unlicensed preparers. While these new regulations are only in the planning stages right now, I would like to throw my unabashed support behind them.
Filing your taxes is probably the most important financial transaction you make every year. These new regulations would ensure every single taxpayer would receive competent tax preparation.
- ► 2010 (1177)
- Consumer Confidence in the US Drops in June
- Personal Bankruptcies Surge in Southern California...
- FICO Scores Show Flaws as U.S. Banks Cut Consumer ...
- Stimulus Benefits Ready To Roll
- How Offshore Tax Evasion Affects You
- Ailing California Economy Could Prolong Recession
- The Specter of the 1993 Energy Tax
- White House Open To New Tax On Health Benefits
- American Land Title Association Urges Support of $...
- Sanford Traveled Had ‘Holiday’ With Mistress on Ta...
- My Appearance on the Stu Taylor Show
- U.S. Corporate Tax Audits Down 9 Percent
- Prepare for Hurricanes by Safeguarding Tax Records...
- Latest Good Reads
- Tax Friendly Ways to Save for your Children’s Educ...
- U.S. Home Prices Drop Again as Concern Over Apprai...
- State Cuts Tax Exemptions For Kids
- The Tax Implications of Foreclosures
- The Best Surfing Video Ever!
- Tax Credit For Home Purchase Could Rise
- US-Swiss Tax-Evasion Hearings Set In Fla.
- 4th of July Tea Parties Planned
- California’s Solution to $24 Billion Budget Gap Is...
- Save on Your Taxes with New IRA Rules
- More People Qualify for Car-Tax Deduction
- K-Fed's Company Dodges Tax Bill
- Missed the Quarterly Payment Due Date?
- The Hidden Problems with Forgiven Credit Card Debt...
- The $9.5 Billion Gay Marriage Windfall
- Confusion Over Canceled Mortgage & Credit Card Deb...
- Schwarzenegger Says He'll Veto Democrats' Plan For...
- Embarq, Sprint Sue Government Over Taxes
- Latest Good Reads
- The True Cost of Foreclosures
- Tax Deductions For Car Purchases Now Apply To All ...
- California Schools' Tough Choices
- Obama Says ‘Robust’ Growth Will Prevent Tax Increa...
- Paper or Plastic? D.C. Taxes on All Disposable Bag...
- The Curious Firing of Gerald Walpin Gets … Curious...
- California Democrats Seek Tax Boost as Battle Loom...
- Lawmakers Want IRS To Suspend Tax Shelter Penalty
- Do You Owe the IRS?
- Raise My Taxes
- A California Tax On Oil Drilling? Why Not?
- Swiss Seek U.S. Tax Deal Before UBS Case Continues...
- The Truth About Estimated Quarterly Tax Payments
- Almost Half of Top Unions Have Underfunded Pension...
- Get The Most Out of Your Homebuying Tax Credit
- Tax Preparation Licensing
- Apple Announces New iPhone; IRS to Let Your Employ...
- As Home Values Fall, Your Property Tax Bill Probab...
- Calif. Mayors Urge Schwarzenegger To Spare Cities
- Americans' Net Worth Shrinks $1.33 Trillion In 1Q
- Latest Good Reads:
- Tax Tips for Recent College Graduates
- A New Federal Tax Reform Panel
- Ten Banks Allowed To Pay Back TARP
- Obama Tells American Businesses to Drop Dead
- Understanding The House Democrats’ Health Care Bil...
- Some Early iPhone 3G S Adopters Subject To $200 "A...
- “Told Ya So,” Says Sarah Palin
- IRS Launches Tax Return Preparer Review
- Time For State, U.S. To Tax The Internet
- Billionaire Tax Felon Says UBS Lied in Pledge to R...
- Senators Introduce Bill Banning Wireless Taxes
- Democrats Weigh Health Mandate as Obama Urges Taxi...
- Is a Value-Added Tax the Answer?
- 20 Ways to Save Money this Summer
- Photos from the 2nd Annual Roni Deutch Tax Center ...
- Kerry Says $819,848 Tax Lien Is Clerical Error
- How To Avoid The 'Death Tax'
- Guilty Plea in Tax Shelter Fraud
- Obama Willing to Consider Tax on Employer-Paid Hea...
- NC Legislature Approves Tax Law Change For Apple
- States Give Hollywood A Fortune In Tax Breaks
- A Healthy Tax
- U.S. Debt $668,621 Per Household
- Time Warner's Well-Timed Tax Break
- States Feel The Pain On Auto Dealer Row
- Administration: Highway Fund To Go Broke In August...
- Everything you Need to Know About Taxes After Deat...
- The Tax Lady’s Guide to Beating the IRS, featured ...
- With Bankruptcy Looming, a New GM Begins to Emerge...
- Romney Balks at Government Ownership of GM
- Quicker Access to First-Time Buyer Tax Credit
- A Shelter That Could Start a Stampede
- Leap in U.S. Debt hits Taxpayers with 12% More Red...
- Latest Good Reads
- ▼ June (88)
- ► 2008 (410)
- ► 2007 (191)