Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Local Teen Girl Plays on Boy’s Baseball Team

Check out this video on Yahoo, of a news report on a local teen girl. She is the only girl to play on the boy’s baseball team at a nearby high school. Gabby Sanchez is a freshman at Rio Linda High School and has already made it onto the Junior Varsity baseball team, playing along with older male students.

It warms my heart to hear stories like this one. For those of you who do not already know, I absolutely love baseball, and have been playing my entire life. At the age of 11, I became the first female in the history of California to play little league baseball on an all boys’ team. Then when I was 12, I was selected as an All-star player. But Gabby takes the cake.

I strongly encourage Gabby to continue doing what she loves, and to not be concerned about gender stereotypes or what anyone else has to say. Follow your dreams, and do not let anything stand in your way.

Blog Archive